Little Norway – Post No. 17

This is post no. 17 about Little Norway.

Before I met Clarence Simonsen virtually on the Internet in 2015, I knew nothing about Little Norway. Clarence had researched Little Norway and his research was published on Preserving the Past II.

Later, David Wold whose parents were in Little Norway during the war had contacted me and hw had shared photos and information.

ragnar wold little norway

mom and dad in norwegian uniform (1)

Everything he had sent had been posted on the blog.

David had a wooden propeller of a PT-26B.

This is the latest of David’s installment…

I am very pleased and touched by the fact that the propeller now finally is “among its own” at Royal Norwegian Air Force recreation and conference center at Vesle Skaugum, Gol, Norway, after having had several “waiting and stops” over the last 76 years.  It would be part of so many memories and reminders of those who signed up and gave all when the Kingdom of Norway asked for help in obtaining freedom and liberty.

“Lest we Forget”


Now for some images and photos all courtesy David Wold…





obit for bjorn og roy


Fought Bravely For Freedom

Tribute At Airmen’s Funeral


Military funeral honors were given to Sgt. Pilot Roy Conrad Norris Heise, 25, and L.A.C. Bjorn Ottersen, 24, RNAF, who were accidentally killed in a flying accident near Gravenhurst.

Lieut. V. B. Neumann, padre at Little Norway, conducted the Lutheran in Crematory Chapel. “Sgt. Heise always fought for what he thought was right,” Padre Neumann stated during his memorial sermon, spoken in the Norwegian tongue. He then went on to outline how Heise, a Swedish boy, had gone to fight with the Finns at the outbreak of war. Later, he came to Canada and joined the Canadian Army, transferring to the RNAF when Norway was invaded. “He was always disgusted that he had to stay in Canada and instruct,” the padre said, “when he longed to go overseas and fight.”

Speaking of Ottersen, Padre Neumann noted that, while only a lad, he had done what he could in the Norwegian underground. The boy managed to escape to Sweden, where he attended the university at Upsala and obtained an arts degree, in order that he might be a pilot in the RNAF when he came to Canada.

“He arrived here  in March from Sweden, and was just ,within five hours of finishing his elementary flying course.”

Here followed a very impressive part of the service. Col. Ole Reistad, air officer commanding the RNAF Training Centre in Canada, carried wreaths to the feet of the Norwegian and Swedish flag-draped coffins. Addressing a few last words to the dead boys, he said a simple, “Heartiest last thanks, Heise,” and “Many thanks, Ottersen,” and placed his wreaths on the caskets.

Then comrades from all the different branches of the service gave their wreaths and tributes with a few last words of parting. Violin solos were played throughout the service by a member of the RNAF.

Mrs. Barbara Heise was the chief mourner.

bjørn ottersen og roy heise begravelse


nedfall stedet

Bjørn Ottersen

Bjørn Ottersen

Roy Heise

Roy Heise


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s